New Inventory System

We'll be announcing things about the game and other games here! There will be no in-game announcements in this forum.
dayrinni
Site Admin

New Inventory System

Post by dayrinni » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Hello!

Over the past 12 months or so, with the new classes and the way the game has grown, it has really become apparent that the current inventory system just isn't going to work long term for us. There are some technical difficulties that exist with the current one and unfortunately, the best course of action is to blow it up and rewrite it all. Over the past 4 years I've just applied band aids to it, thinking it'll suffice but it simply won't any longer. Personally, from a development PoV, this really became noticeable during Ranger development (arrows/ammo) and then, planning the End Game Gear progression system. Additionally, the players always make some comments wishing it to be better.

This is a large project and inventory management touches a large part of the game. I also have to convert your characters from the old way to the new way, so that is added work (not complaining, just stating this FYI).

This new system will allow for stacking of items to very high amounts, like essentially infinite, if we wanted too - 500 gems, 1,000 maple slabs, etc. Not all items will be stacked, such as weapons and armor, etc. The game will also store, save and load data much more efficiently. We'll also fix issues with sorting and other handlation of items that change the order.

I estimate that it will take 1 month to complete everything. So this is what I'm going to start on now and I'll be doing it in an isolated manner so we can still have regular updates like we all enjoy today.

Thanks!
* indicates a change requires an upload+copyover.

"You merely adopted the typos! I was born into them."